xorg: Maximum number of clients reached

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Jun 11 17:20:30 MST 2015

So this seems to be a big problem for me, in that it simply refuses to
open new apps, and find this happens more and more these days. Am I like
the only actual person to use linux these days that this occurs with?

I've seen reports of this, stating it's a hard-coded thing in xorg code,
which I find entirely asinine, but seems a reality when using
Chrome/Chromium that launches some 300 flocks on various things, and
blows out the 256/512 client count on xorg.  I find this almost stupid,
and feel I'm back to the days of windoze me having to reboot every other
day.

Reality is I have 3 chrome profiles open, some pdfs, libreoffice, some
chrome apps, some file manager windows (dolphin/kde), and not much
else.  Sort of want to punch someone in the face when I see this -
someone is obviously doing something wrong, and really can't see why.
All I can ever think is really, am I the only person that really "uses"
a linux desktop to see these?

Uninstalling pepperflash, or any flash vermin, seems to have done some
good, no longer causing a persistent memory leak in xorg/fglrx drivers,
but otherwise chrome|chromium still seems an absolute basketcase under
linux, forgetting there are resource limits they should consider
adhering to.

-mb