Firefox problems

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Wed Jun 10 14:13:20 MST 2015

On 2015-06-10 13:36, joe at actionline.com wrote:
>> The fonts are ridiculously tiny
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/fftinyfonts.jpg

The firefox fonts look fine to me, but I've got an older monitor that
might have larger pixels.  The font settings for minimum font size in
firefox are under Edit->Preferences->Fonts and colors in the "advanced"
button.  This can be and usually is overridden by CSS.

If you've got a newer monitor with more pixels-per-inch than the old
default of 72, it's possible that firefox is not aware of this and is
trying to use fonts with a pixel size that is incorrect.  KDE
applications have a setting in System Settings->Appearance->Fonts under
"force fonts DPI" that can be adjusted to various values.  I am not sure
if this'll do anything to firefox since it's a GTK+ application.  There
might be an application/setting for GTK+ applications somewhere; not
sure what it'd be called.

The layout.css.dpi value in about:config is by default set to -1 (use
system-provided value).  "xdpyinfo | grep dots" returns 96x96 dots per
inch here.  I'm not sure whether firefox uses that info from the X
server or does something else.  This is a thing I have not played with
very much since the default values have worked OK for me in all firefox
installs for years.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity