KDE enters the mobile development space

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Mon Jul 27 06:40:37 MST 2015

On Sun, 2015-07-26 at 15:41 -0700, Brian Cluff wrote:

> That makes a lot more sense than a single interface to spread across all
> devices.  That just seems to me that the very best you can come up with
> is something that will be described as on avarage as "not completely
> horrible" across all devices.  That doesn't sound very good to me (I'm
> talking to you Windows and Ubuntu). :)

I'll bite :-)

I do think that it is about making them feel similar, and have common
ways of doing things. That of course means not having a task bar at the
bottom and a popup menu in the left corner. Which seems to be the only
way Linux users want to work :-) In general, there's gonna have to be
changes from everyone as we end up with a continuum of devices, but I
imagine that only professionals will have dedicated "computers" in the
future.

I randomly ran into a Ubuntu Phone user who noticed my hat and asked if
I had seen the phone. When I asked some more questions of her she
mentioned that the reason she liked the phone was because it worked the
same way as her desktop, which meant she had to remember less and could
be more productive. Only one data point, but a rather surprising one
coming out of the blue.

Ted