Suggested software for a light media box

Steven stevensspam at cox.net
Thu Jul 9 18:16:36 MST 2015

Hello all,

I ran the numbers the other day and realized I could put together a
small form factor box for less than $300 and hang it off the back of my
TV. Nothing too fancy, a Gigabyte Brix 1900 bare bones with a celeron
j1900, 8 gigs ram, and 120 gb  ssd, keyboardless at the moment, and
hooked up to the TV through hdmi. Right now I have the 14.04 LTS version
of Ubuntu running on it and connecting through VNC to control it.

Does anyone here have anything similar set up? I know I can view youtube
on the TV simply using a browser but I'm open to thoughts on alternate
software/os-distributions/etc. If I'm reading things right then Netflix
ought to be workable with an up to date browser and Amazon video with
just a little effort.