download to partition with synaptic

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:29:29 MST 2014

I was looking at synaptic and noticed a section titled something like
'Games and Amusement'. I downloaded some of them and ran out of room in / .
Now when I click the synaptic starter in the menu it says,

   Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic as user root.
   Unable to copy user's Xauthorization file.

After this happened I started it from a terminal and was informed to run
the command, ' sudo dpkg --configure -a'.
I did so and now synaptic will start from the terminal but not from the
menu (I still get the aforementioned error). This leaves me with two
questions:
one- how do I download things to certain partitions with apt?
two- how do I fix the Xauthorization error?