wired network security

Bob Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Nov 2 18:58:12 MST 2014

On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 08:29:15PM -0700, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> Bob,
>
> This is far from enough technical information to assist you.

Maybe not but it's a good start.

> If you are looking at your Wireless settings alone, depending on your
> router type, and it says Security None, you have an "Open Access Point"
> that anyone can join.  Now if you don't use your Wireless and your router
> doesn't automatically bridge your Wireless and Wired connections, you are
> "safe".  In order to exploit the local LAN security, they must share your
> IP subnet/physical media.

Just checked. The subnet masks are the same for wired and wireless,
255.255.255.0 Is that what you're referring to? In the specs it talks
briefly about it being a wireless bridge. Given that, am I running an
open AP unknowingly?

The *wired* connection shows "Security none". The *wireless* connection
shows "Security WPA/WPA2".

> What is your router type?

Linksys wrt54gl running updated Linksys firmware. As soon as I work up the
guts I'll try one of the open source versions.

> Are you using Wired Exclusively?

No. Only for things like bank and broker access, downloading isos
through the browser, etc. Otherwise I use wireless.

Thanks for the input.

--
Bob Holtzman
Giant intergalactic brain-sucking hyperbacteria