Debian desktops (Re: SUSE Linux Days Road Tour)

Mike Bushroe mbushroe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 12:25:31 MST 2014

I am still running Ubuntu, but after all the horror stories I have heard, I
am still running 10.04LTS both at home and on all the test computers in the
LAN Lab at work. It is getting a bit harder now that they have pulled the
plug and the repositories no longer mix new software releases with lucid
package trees so that software center and apt-get don't always find what I
am looking for. I am going to have to get better at loading and compiling
from source and handling large differences in library file versions. So far
it has not been too much of a problem, so I have not explored upgrading to
a newer major release accept for upgrading the computer in my
office/library that I hardly ever use.I am thinking about moving the big
machine out here to the family room and keeping the laptop off most of the
time so that I will be working with the faster, more powerful, dual screen
computer. I just don't feel like going into the library to work on it,
perhaps because the location makes it feel more like work than like playing
on the computer at home!

  Not only am I being a stick in the mud about refusing to leave 10.04, but
all the dual boots have XP on the flip side, accept for this laptop which
came with 7. And I can't use that until I hack the password again (and
change it BACK to something simple and easy to rememebr!!!)

So for your OS count, personal (1) Ubuntu 10.04, (1) Ubuntu 12.04
(virtually unused, (1) XP, (1) W7 (locked out)

at work (6) Ubunutu 10.04, (8) XP

Mike

--
"Creativity is intelligence having fun." — Albert Einstein