slow linux

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Tue Jul 1 08:53:26 MST 2014

Install nmon.
Start nmon and type:
mct
That will show you processes, memory and CPU usage.
The box is probably doing a lot of 'Waiting' created because of a bunch of
IO when swapping.
Cure?
Buy more memory...
YMMV...
ET

PS: You can also use lsof to identify what resources are being tied up by
which processes.  Problem is that you may not be able to run lsof because
the box is unresponsive.
Yo may need to resort to SNMP.