How to get my Linux system to recognize a video CD or DVD (SOLVED)

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Mon Jun 3 17:38:44 MST 2013

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

After much wasted time, it turns out the solution was:

mount /dev/cdrom ... then several players worked fine.

Until doing that, nothing worked.

-------------
> John Macey asked: Do you have VLC installed?

Yes, I tried VLC but that did not work.

> Matt Graham suggested mplayer or xine or vcdimager

Tried all three, but none worked.

> coverturtle suggested "make sure you have all your updates"
> then search and install brasero

I did have all the latest updates (Linux Mint)
and I did install and I tried brasero ... still no joy.

But after much searching on the 'net, I finally
found a solution which was:

$ mount /dev/cdrom

Then all the different players worked.