Starting Today, It's Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Jan 26 13:22:25 MST 2013

For me, this is almost a standard method of operation, as for years I've
rommed, reprogrammed between providers (cdma even, shh), and find it
absurd they made it illegal.

Technically it's not difficult to usually reprogram an imei/meid on even
cdma devices, but always has been highly illegal to do so (my phone is
now your phone spoofing), but in general it's really not even necessary.
  Switching between providers is however. but the fact it's a different
button in the same app to change the meid too has them scared, or is at
least an excuse.

At the end of the day I'll be interested to see how they enforce it,
otherwise I'm inclined to simply carry on as I've always done using
phones between providers.  I doubt it's going to be enforced with
proactive/retroactive searches meaning why the hell did they bother in
the first place?  I don't see why this needed to be changed, unless it's
at the request of telecom lobbyists to restrict device portability, thus
increasing sales.

US government is a lost cause here anymore.

-mb