How to use clonezilla to copy just one partition?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Jan 3 13:22:08 MST 2013

There are a zillion ways to do what you want, but this is how I usually
do it since it doesn't require any extra special software:
Boot, both computers with a bootable CD that will get you on the net, a
[kx]ubuntu install CD works fine.

On the destination machine install and/or start an ssh server.
Then set a password for the root user.
Next find the partitions that you want to copy from and to on the machines.
Then just issue a command like:
cat /dev/sda1 |ssh root at 192.168.0.50 'cat >/dev/sda2'

* Replace /dev/sda1 with the partition that you want to copy from
* Replace /dev/sda2 with the partition on the destination machine you
want to copy to.
* replace 192.168.0.50 with the IP address of the destination machine.

After running that just sit back and relax, it's going to take a long
time!  It's also not going to show you any sort of progress meter.

If you would like some sort of progress you could install pv (pipe view)
on the source machine and then change the line to:
cat /dev/sda1 |pv |ssh root at 192.168.0.50 'cat >/dev/sda2'

That will allow you to see how much data has passed thought the pipe.
You can also give pv a size and then it will give you all sorts of extra
information.

If you have the option of removing one or both of the drives so that
they can be attached to the same computer, something that I highly
recommend if it's an option since it will greatly reduce the amount of
time waiting for the copy, you can just use dd or even cat.

Just do something like:
cat /dev/sda1 >/dev/sdb1

Then sit back and relax.  It will probably take 1 or 2 hours to copy
100gig.  If you use a 100Mb network, then it will take all day for the
same amount of data... use a 1000Mb network if you have the option.

No matter which method you use, just make sure that the destination
partition is the exact same size or bigger or you will run into
troubles.  You can always hit the destination partition with resize2fs
(in the e2fsprogs package) after you have copied it to have it use up
all the rest of the unused space.  If you are using EXT4 you can even do
the resize, live on a running system.

Hope that helps,
Brian Cluff