My battle with Earthlink

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:24:22 MST 2013

It is in bridged mode.  I have it connected to a netgear router.  The
problem I described happens whether or not I use the router.   I plugged
the modem directly into both computers one at a time and still the
problem persists.

On 02/17/2013 09:05 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> Is it an integrated router in the modem?  They tend to suck - might be
> exhausting connection limits or something (bittorents?).  I'd say set
> the modem to "bridge" if so and use/try a 3rd party router.
>
> Another thing is it sounds like you're triggering something like a
> policer that at a high mark "penalizes" you and reduces your cir
> temporarily.  Network Quality of Service boxes like Sandvine
> deep-packet inspection (dpi) appliances were known to do this as a
> policy (abuse), and most isp's have and/or use something like them.
> This is almost defacto in 3g/4g cell networks.
>
> No one will flat out admit to it really in a non-cell network that
> "unlimited" bandwidth is advertised and perceived, but even Cox had
> them installed and ready to turn on until the backlash against Comcast
> for using Sandvine's stopped them.
>
> -mb
>

> On 02/17/2013 08:42 PM, JD Austin wrote:
>> My guess is your DSL modem is rebooting; how old is it?
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Derek Trotter <expat.arizonan at gmail.com
>> <mailto:expat.arizonan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     For several weeks I've had a problem with my earthlink dsl service.
>>     Anytime I'm doing something that uses all or most of my downstream
>>     bandwidth, all data coming into or going out of my apartment stops.

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore