My battle with Earthlink

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 20:02:53 MST 2013

For several weeks I've had a problem with my earthlink dsl service.
Anytime I'm doing something that uses all or most of my downstream
bandwidth, all data coming into or going out of my apartment stops.  At
the same time I'm downloading something a series of updates for kubuntu
and listening to streaming audio, both stop.  If I'm using my windows
box to download something else, that too stops.  After a pause lasting
anywhere from a second or two to 15 or 20 seconds, the downloads
resume.  A few seconds later, there's another pause.  This cycle repeats
itself until the download is complete or I give up.

Each computer has two nics.  The problem persists no matter which one
either machine is using for it's internet connection.  If I remove the
router, connect the dsl modem directly to either computer, the problem
persists.  I even went to the closet and got the modem when I had dsl
from AT&T.  I set it to work with the earthlink service and the problem
persists.

Saturday an AT&T technician was here, checked the line from the cord
that plugs into the dsl modem and says the line is in excellent shape
and noise levels are very low.  This is not surprising since I live less
than 1/4 mile from AT&T's local office where all their equipment is.

Since I've tried two computers, 4 nics, two dsl modems and removed the
router, and the problem still persists, I'm guessing the problem is
somewhere at earthlink's end.

Tonight at 21:30 EST, an earthlink tech support person from somewhere in
India called to tell me they had fixed the problem.  While he was on the
phone I tried downloading something else and guess what.  The problem
was not fixed.  As near as I can tell, the dsl connection does not go
down.  The earthlink people say it stays up.  The lights on the modem
that are on when the connection is up never go off or blink.

The man asks me what dns settings I use.  I tell him 8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4.  He says I should try earthlink's dns servers.  To humor him I
changed the settings on the windows box and guess what.  The problem did
not go  away.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's my understanding that once the
download has begun, that dns has already done it's job and has no
further role to play.  One more thing.  If I use a VPN connection, I
have no problem with it.

Any idea what's going on?  If you were to venture a guess, would you say
the problem is at my place, with AT&T or with Earthlink?

Thanks

Derek

--
"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore