what to learn

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Aug 27 07:59:06 MST 2013

Learn some networking too.  Please.

Far too many devs and sysadmins both stick their head in the dirt,
treating networking as plumbing that will never complain and always take
their poop.  Trusting magical api's to send and return data to some
nebulous entity over the network is inviting disaster if you don't
understand the underlying infrastructure.  It's the only way to take
your code or systems to the next level, as every app you make is going
to be network enabled these days.

Sadly developers are often taught to "trust" api's vs. understanding
networking (ahem, microsofties), much to their eventual detriment.  It's
about performance, redundancy, scalability when you're talking network
apps.  So many developers I've worked with over the past 15 years are
entirely clueless when it comes to networks (and security) that it
hampers ultimately their ability to make "good" apps.  Often leaving me
to kludge some kind of network solution around them when they realize
their app needs to be redundant and scale, ultimately creating
compromises in the network because of it.

If you can't understand what a tcp or udp socket is, how they work, and
how much bandwidth you project to consume on the network, you're missing
something.

-mb