reiserfs reliability

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Apr 16 19:09:50 MST 2013

I'd used reiserfs on production  (well, every desktop/laptop I owned and
dozens of vm's to play with) for a good 4-5 years, and had no incidents
that I simply could not recover all data from.  Worst case I had to fsck
a few times, but in maybe the 2 years or so I've used ext4, gotten far
more problems, and had some data lost even.

Performance was notably better going to it, and shortly thereafter moved
to ssd in another league all together.  That said, there's a few times
I've sworn to end up back on reiser dealing with ext, but still on ext4
currently.

Most of my issue with fs' is having to layer mdadm, dmcrypt/luks, and
lvm still to accomplish "enterprise-y" function.  Btrfs and zfs somewhat
replace mdadm and lvm, but still absolutely require luks wedged in there
for encryption on personal systems, and both are still somewhat work in
progress.  I'd love to replace all three with one fs finally with native
performance gains.

-mb