reiserfs reliability

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Apr 16 09:56:25 MST 2013

From: Amit Nepal
> I am thinking to use reiserfs in one of my storage servers. I have not
> used reiserfs before and I am wondering how reliable it is. Any one have
> any experience with the reliability of reiserfs?

I used it on my home machine for a few years.  No problems, modulo a totally
unrelated kernel bug eating part of my / .  reiserfsck --rebuild-tree got
everything back.

> it seems to be good for faster access

I saw no measurable difference in wall-clock performance between ext3 and
reiserfs.  I didn't do insane amounts of benchmarking, though.  (There are 5
species of mendacity, each worse than the last:  Lies, damned lies,
statistics, benchmarks, and vendor promises.)  The main thing I got from the
community was that certain kinds of failures will totally hose your filesystem
if it's reiserfs and be at least partially recoverable if it's ext3.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows