Linux security focus

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Apr 1 23:51:14 MST 2013

Am 13. Mar, 2013 schwätzte Lisa Kachold so:

moin moin,

> Hans has mentored Linuxities in Phoenix (and California at ScaLe) for many
> years now and is supposed to be a fair teacher.

Danke.

> Security careers are not just pursued through any one arena.
>
> WE ARE ALL responsible for SECURITY in our own lives, with technology, and
> in our professions.

A little slow in response, but I wanted to respond and agree with Lisa on
this.

Those of us that are professionals obviously have responsibility for
security in what we do. Those who aren't professionals ( this includes
spouse, children and other family members of the professionals ), also
have responsibility for security.

We can't individually keep ahead of everything that's out there, but we
can still have good general practices. Unfortunately, those will likely
continue getting more complex :(.

> Security compartmentalization can be a huge problem, especially when we
> attempt to educate the masses.
>
> The best way to get into security is to DO IT.  Since there is a great deal

Again, Lisa is absolutely correct. For whereever you're at, investigate
the security risks of your day to day job. Generally, though, you should
not test security of production or customer boxen without express ( in
plain text ) permission from management.

> of material covering the full OSI stack, and many protocols, we suggest
> that you attend DefCon in Las Vegas.  Also, studying for and taking ANY
> certification is one of the requirements.

Anyone in the southwest interested in security should be going to DEFCON.

It's fairly easy to get to as PLUG and ASULUG do ad hoc ride-sharing for
it or it's a short flight.

DEFCON now also has a kids program for those of us with children.

Come give security presentations at PLUG, ASULUG, OWASP, etc. and let
others learn from your knowledge. You learn a lot in order to be able
to teach, so it really is a good exercise. For instance, it's a great
exercise to help prep for interview questions :) and it's something that
can go on the resume.

More good stuff from Lisa below, so I won't truncate this time.

ciao,

der.hans

#  Schlie