messed up my cups and lpr driver for Brother mfc5490cn

Mike Bushroe mbushroe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 07:32:34 MST 2012

I was trying to see if ti was possible to get print in reverse order, or
better yet, software print double sided from gedit. Somehow I managed to
get the dpkg into an unstable state where I can neither remove nor install
the lpr package from Brother. So I tried running dselect to see if there
were some more useful options through the gui, and now it won't install any
NEW packages either.

  The error message when trying to remove it is:
mike at mike-Satellite-P505:~/Downloads/brother_mfc5490cn$ sudo dpkg
--force-all -r mfc5490cnlpr
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 351489 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mfc5490cnlpr ...
start: Unknown job: lpd
dpkg: error processing mfc5490cnlpr (--remove):
 subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 mfc5490cnlpr

I am running out of ideas on how to manually remove the remaining files and
start again, force removal, or force re-install, as none of these has
worked so far. And of course I no longer have printer access.

Any suggestions? Where do I find or create a more detailed error log to see
what can be fixed or changed manually?

Mike
--
But he lives on in a Horcrux named Siri