OT: Internet connection okay, but no access.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Sep 18 19:31:58 MST 2012

169 autoconfigure addresses occur when you have link, set for dhcp, and
no dhcp response with an address.  It gives the interface "something" to
satiate netlink.  This usually means wireless security isn't working, or
at least the router doesn't think you are.

Make sure it *is* connecting to the router ssid and passing security.
Check the router likes the client security session too from logs, and be
suspect of the wireless driver stack for the device.  With just about
anything but an intel nic, wireless under windoze was a crapshoot with
xp, never actually used vista/7 to know how quirky they are with
drivers/hardware.

If dhcp is wonky on the router, you could configure it with another ip
address out of the subnet statically, just check another host for the
subnet, mask, gateway, and dns servers to replicate manually.  I'm
thinking if you're not getting dhcp, this won't work.  If not, suspect
the wireless stack and/or hardware, especially if its using wdm drivers,
like a cheap usb wlan nic.

If other hosts work and only this one doesn't, could be just winxp
acting up, it got infected with something that messed with the driver
stack, or you have a bad nic.  Quick test would be to boot a live ubuntu
cd on the hardware and see if it gets an address, but ymmv with wireless
there too unless it's a decent hardware one like an intel.

-mb