Helping a Japanese Ftiend

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Sep 15 08:40:16 MST 2012

From: Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com>
> I was able to "dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=5" as you
> suggested so I did the whole thing with of=japanese.iso and tried
> mounting that with Archive Mounter with no success

It's definitely a data DVD of some type, then.

> Lastly I used hd [to write] some of it to a file

The strings in the file say that it was supposed to be UDF.  However, if you
try to mount it as UDF, it says something like "can't find a superblock at the
end of the image".  If it's supposed to be UDF, then the first thing I'd try
is to dd the whole thing to a file, then run fsck.udf on that file, and see if
that can reconstruct the superblock or at least make the first few VOB files
readable.  Note that the fsck you need may be called udffsck, and it might not
be installed.  The fsck for UDF should be available on all distros.

It may also be that it was burned as a multisession DVD and never fixated, or
it had 2 sessions and the second session was messed up.  "cdrecord -toc
dev=/dev/scd0" will tell you how many sessions it has.

> try to get some details from her brother about how he
> made it.  I doubt that she will be able to.

If the DVD is damaged at the very edge, where the fs said it was looking for
the superblock, or there's multisession oddness going on, that could cause the
problems you reported.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows