System crash - now shows "no space on device"

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Sep 3 18:12:20 MST 2012

Hi Joe,

You can check your free inodes via:

# df -i
or via:

# tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1 | grep *Free

*
Boot your system into single user mode:
Is this Fedora? Use F15 or append the word "single" to the end the grub2
command line.

and delete all the files in;

/var/spool/mail/root
/var/log/messages
/var/log/mail*
/var/log/mess*

Look for core files - but until you clear up some space you can't do much
(not even locate).  Did you determine if your disk is mounted read only?
Do you have a hardware controller or any mdadm on the drive?

You can boot into Knoppix and it will not mount any part of the disk as
swap so you can work on the drive after manually mounting it.

You can also use yum or apt-get to remove a package to quickly get some
diskspace free.

Use locate (find-utils) to identify and remove core files, iso's and
Virtualbox images.  But you can't run find or locate without /tmp file
space.

Again, removing the root mail spool (be sure to create it again with "touch
/var/spool/mail/root | chown root:mail /var/spool/mail/root"

# locate core

You can also determine what files were modified 2 days ago:

touch -t 201209172359 dummy
find / -name 'DS*' -newer dummy

Once you have enough disk space free you can boot back into kde.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> > You probably ran out of inodes.
> >
> > Check how many free inodes you have.
>
> How does one check to see how many free inodes one has?
>
> df shows all the file space used 12-gigs allocated - 12-gigs used - zero
> available.
>

> > On Sep 3, 2012 6:09 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> >
> >> My system crashed today - screen just went black when I clicked on the
> >> calendar.  Could no longer boot to kde.  So, I booted into safe mode and
> >> 'df' shows the root partition (12 gig) is filled.
> >>
> >> My home directory seems to be intact (thank God), but I can't figure out
> >> what has happened to fill up the root partition.
> >>
> >> 'du' on '/' shows a total of only 3.5 gig of space used, so why is the
> >> rest of the root partition filled up with 12-gig of space used?
> >>
> >> I tried to ssh login to the system from another computer wire-connected
> >> on
> >> the same ethernet but 'ssh' says "no route to host."  I did
> >> '/etc/init.d/sshd start' and got the response "OK" but I cannot connect.
> >> 'ifconfig' is found on the system, but returns no response when I invoke
> >> it.

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice