ssh confusion

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Nov 30 17:29:49 MST 2012

Am 30. Nov, 2012 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

moin moin,

> Interesting.  I deleted entry 8 and then ssh'd to lapdog0 with no
> complaint.  Logged out, rebooted that machine to Mint and then ssh'd into
> lapdog1 and that complained about then new entry 23 for lapdog0.

Yeah, line 8 was probably your old entry for lapdog2.

> It appears that ssh will make an entry in known_hosts for each IP and
> something (host name, kernel, tennis ball) combination, but only complains
> about the 1st mis-match it finds.  Whatever the "something" is is not clear
> as I got no complaint after deleting entry 8 (from the lapdog2 days) and
> sshing in to lapdog0.  Puzzling.

It tracks hostname and IP combinations and warns you if the IP has another
entry. Presuming both lapdog0 and lapdog1 are properly in known_hosts I'd
think the warning would go away.

Does ssh -v explain it?

ciao,

der.hans
#  "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
#  are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
#    --Albert Einstein