laptop battery cycling

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun May 6 16:34:35 MST 2012

My VERY limited understanding is, the problem isn't "overcharging"
exactly.  It's that Li-Ion batteries are weird.  They last longest when
charged between 50% and 80% - as opposed to 100%.  But bad news:
maintaining the battery at a level below 20% is just as bad as keeping it
at 100% if not worse, so...leaving it out really isn't a good solution
either.

What we REALLY need is a switch or setting in the laptop that will cause a
100% charge when you know you'll need more battery life soon, otherwise the
default charge level is maintained at around 75%.  But that would confoose
too many people...might be a good FOSS project for geeks though?

Failing that, the best solution is to leave it in there.  Yes, the battery
will slowly degrade.  But, at least you have protection from a sudden crash
if you accidentally the power plug :(.  If you can afford it, run two
batteries - swapping once every week or two (or however long it takes for
it to naturally drain to about 50%), with the one about to go on the shelf
being deliberately drained to about 80% first.

Jim