scp in reverse?

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Fri Mar 16 07:52:29 MST 2012

This won't work:
> ssh remotehost 'tar cvf - 1.jpg | ssh yoursourcehost "cat > 1.jpg.tar"'
but this will:
ssh remotehost 'tar cvf - 1.jpg | ssh yoursourcehost "cat - > 1.jpg.tar"'
will work.
The dash in the left of the 'pipe (|)' means stdin, and in the right means
stdout.

Once the SSH connection is established, you can do magic, and you could
possible 'extract' anything.
However, if one of the boxes is Linux, I'd go sshfs.
ET