Windows 8 demo video parody

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Dec 31 09:30:20 MST 2012

I'll agree, I thought 2000 was actually quite great.  It was a server on
your desktop, yes, but coming out from ME at the time (shivers), it
fixed the perpetual memory leaks that were win95-98.  It was the first
consumer-grade win os NOT to require nightly reboots, and thus began
uptimes of more than 2 days with it.

I'm not so much down on their products as I am the company, and what
they stand for.  Which sadly hasn't been much of anything in the past 10
years.  Balmer is about the creepiest and craziest leader I can imagine,
and the constant "drink the koolaid" chants from him for disastrous
product launches with promises revolutionizing the world (again) are a
joke anymore.  They've simply run in place for far too long, the world
passed them by, and they failed to even notice.

My last shot at loving a microsoft product was their smartphone, before
apple supposedly invented them.  For a good 3 years (2005-2008) I used a
winmo phone, and for a time, it was good.  I was with them from winmo3
through 6.5, about 5 "major" releases, and saw literally the same bugs
and problems affect base usage across all of them.  They simply never
fixed it, they only wrapped new ui's and new features across broken
kernels and a broken base os.  The advent of the Iphone and Palm Pre,
even immature Android then made WinMo look comical in comparison.  I'd
moved on and never looked back.

What is comical is that Microsoft truly innovated in the smartphone
space originally when the only competition was really PalmOS devices, or
Blackberry.  At some point, they simply gave up, let it languish, and
eventually faded out.  They missed a huge opportunity to capture the
entire budding smartphone market, and now want desperately back in to
avoid obsolescence.

Windows 8 is their attempt to make everyone want their smartphone (and
pump ads) by making the desktop user blur the line between their desktop
and a phone.  Problem is nobody but them wants this in a productive
desktop.  Maybe they should have looked across the table to see how well
that worked for Ubuntu with Unity.

-mb