How to install an rpm.tar.gz printer driver?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Aug 30 11:56:23 MST 2012

From: joe at actionline.com
> The comedy/tragedy continues.

"This isn't a comedy!"
"Following the rules of comedy helps highlight our essentially tragic
existence."
--Triangle and Robert

> Joseph Sinclair last wrote (in part):
>> make sure to rpm --install *both* rpm's for your architecture; it looks
>> like they're a split of shared libraries and actual driver code.
>
> $ rpm --install cnijfilter-common-3.70-1.i386.rpm
> error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000 (No such
> file or directory)

Hm.  You probably have to run this as root; did you?  (root's prompt usually
includes a # by tradition, not a $ .)  Are you running an RPM-based distro?
If not, /var/lib/rpm/ will not exist, and you'll have to do "rpm --initdb" as
root to make all that stuff.

> $ rpm --install cnijfilter-mx430series-3.70-1.i386.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         cnijfilter-common >= 3.70 is needed
>         libcnnet.so is needed

libcnnnet.so is provided by the cnijfilter-common package if Teh Almighty
Google is correct.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows