the cloud bites back ( or cumulus security is all wet and see through )

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:42:15 MST 2012

I read about this earlier today.  Long before today I decided never to
trust anything to a cloud.  I made this decision because of all the
accounts I've read over the years of hackers breaking into corporate
systems and stealing passwords, credit card numbers and so on.  Also the
recent failure of cloud services due to power failures back east
reinforced my suspicion of "the cloud".  What good is the data to you if
you can't get to it due to a power or equipment failure?

I've long believed it's a smart move to backup anything important you're
going to put on a laptop or other portable device.  It's too easy for
any of these portable devices to get lost, stolen or damaged.  I did
read a few years ago that Google keeps a copy of mail in your gmail
account even if you delete it.  If that's true today, Mat should be able
to contact Google and get his mail back.

I'm no expert, but I would not suggest trusting anything to a cloud.
Sure, encrypt your data before sending to the cloud, but also keep a
copy where you can get to it.  If it's really important, keep a copy
somewhere besides your home, a safe deposit box perhaps.