PCI v6.1 compliant Application Firewalls - Got any ideas

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Oct 7 10:39:46 MST 2011

Look up DLP, or Data Loss Prevention.  I think this is more what you're
looking for.

There's OpenDLP with a quick google search, but not sure what level of
maturity or function you'll get vs. commercial.  Commercial products
I've seen used in enterprises about are Imperva, Cisco ACE XML, IBM
DataThread, F5, or Bluecoat solutions.  I've only dealt with them from a
network perspective, so can't speak for application function - leave
that for the layer7/8 guys to figure out.

I don't think there's enough small/mid range companies that care about
DLP appliance function to roll their own, as it's usually pretty
enterprise-centric how they use the info, and how they intend to protect
it.  Most of the aforementioned vendors are of course very proud of the
functions too, charging accordingly, taxing big enterprises that grow to
the point they need it for audit purposes and will throw money at a
problem.

Honestly, I'm seeing most larger companies now moving toward using
external payment vendors to avoid dealing with the PCI concerns, audits,
and ultimate liability.  PII data (personally identifiable information)
is still a concern, but more internally governed than externally audited
to slide by under "don't do something stupid with data" practices.

-mb