oh man! it just crashed again.

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:38:55 MST 2011

Damn.   That sucks.

Huh.

Are there any BIOS updates for the motherboard?

Failing that, what about BIOS controls regarding ACPI or similar power
management settings?

And failing THAT, hell...I'd actually consider going to kernel 3.1:

http://www.howopensource.com/2011/08/how-to-install-linux-kernel-3-1-rc2-oneiric-in-ubuntu-11-04-10-10-and-10-04/

...and there's even a way to go to kernel 3.2 if you're feeling way
desperate :).

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/linux-image

I'm actually starting to wonder if your particular critter may be
sickly - in the hardware sense.  I've tried googling for kernel panic
issues on battery power in oneiric and I'm coming up blank.

Jim