md5sum

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Mon Nov 28 15:12:04 MST 2011

You probably have a terminal open that has a shell whose current working
directory is on the drive.

$ cd /media/mycdrive
$ bash
$ cd /home/me

now your prompt shows you in me's home directory, but the parent shell's
pwd is on the cd drive.  This will tell you the device is busy because
the shell is open.

This is the one that gets me more times than not.

HTH
Kevin