Need Virtualization Advice

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Nov 22 19:26:14 MST 2011

On 11/22/2011 06:40 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I have managed to fill up my laptop's dual boot (Win 7 and Debian
> testing) 320 GB drive, so I have a new shiny 750 GB drive to install. I
> have tried to use Clonezilla, and it keeps failing because the old drive
> has 512 byte sectors and the new drive has 4096 byte sectors. No
> problem; I will just create a system image of the Windows partitions to
> move that to the new drive, net install Debian testing, and copy over my
> user files.
>
> However, I was thinking that I could get rid of the dual boot and just
> virtualize the Windows partition. My questions -
>
> 1. Can I create a virtual version of my Windows 7 Home Premium using the
> system recovery disk and the backup on my external usb drive? So far, it
> installs to the new 750 GB drive with no issues. I don't have any
> original media disks.

The answer to this sorta depends on the answer to the next question. I
know that VMware has a P2V tool that can be used, and I think/expect VB
does as well.

I've done P2V with XP and Vista using VMware. Loaded OS from system
recovery disks, then ran P2V tool, keeping VM files on other media. Then
installed Ubuntu, VMware Player, and copied windoze VM to the HDD. Fired
up VMware Player, and good to go.

> 2. Vmware or Virtualbox? Do either one support usb so I can run iTunes
> on my virtual Windows drive?

VMware does. VB can, but only non-free version last I knew.

> A while ago I was able to get vmware to run
> off of the Windows disk partition, but it seemed to break every time I
> ran an upgrade on Debian, and it was a pain to get it to work each time.
> I don't want to fiddle with this approach again, unless I have to.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!

VB is a little more user friendly than VMware from what I've heard,
although not by much.

Personally, I run VMware Player, but only because I'm familiar with
VMware Server. VMware Player takes a little tuning to get it running fast.

It's hard (for me) to say where desktop virtualization is headed. VB
started in the desktop arena and was showing great promise, although its
future is a bit uncertain with Oracle owning it now. VMware appears to
be committed to desktop virtualization with VMware Workstation (not
free), although VMware Player (free as in beer) has adequate
functionality for many users. Maybe Hyper-V has a future after all. :(
At this point in time, I think that VMware is the best bet, even though
it does have its drawbacks (not open source, and not as user friendly as
it might be to get running nicely).

That's my nickel's worth.

--
-Eric 'shubes'