games

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Nov 22 09:02:55 MST 2011

Game friendly?  Yes, much more so of late, system and drivers are mostly
up to snuff.  Are there games to play?  Nothing mainstream... don't
expect to play COD4 or MW3 on it anytime soon.

That said, I play lots of games on linux.  Minecraft (client and
server), Heroes of Newerth, Nexuiz, etc.  I also play some older GL
games, Postal, Descent1/2/3,, and some others that all work pretty
decently even with crap ati drivers.  There's always Wine, but it's
entirely a crapshoot - there are compatibility lists though at wine's site.

Another thing of late I've been playing with are emulators.  Most old
consoles are supported decently, and just within the past few days I've
tried dolphin-emu (wii) that works pretty darn good (no surprise
considering wii's hardware is antique by most standards), pcsx (ps1) and
jpcsp (psp).  PCSX2 (ps2) only works right with 32bit linux kernels and
jpcsp needs it for the media engine (drm video in games).  They all have
some quirkiness to them, but with dolphin it loaded right up brand new
Zelda Skyward Sword from iso and makes any wii game look 10x better than
it does on the console.  Run 32bit kernels with emu's for a game system
- gonna do this on my 32bit xbmc/tv box but desktop is x86-64.

Long and short is don't expect any big game vendor to support it OOB.
Even the most linux-friendly like ID Soft. doesn't even bother
supporting it OOB - Carmack may support it later, but there's no
financial incentive to bother.  Steam constantly hints and teases to
support linux, but doesn't.  There's a few other steam-like services
that do have linux gaming, but it's not titles you've heard of or expect.

-mb