making the system SCREAMING fast

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Nov 17 18:10:19 MST 2011

Don't install Compiz is more like it.  It is very problematic long-term
and sucks memory (read: leaks) like no tomorrow.  It's very pretty, and
I miss it so, but I'll take system stability over eye candy.

SSD's were a huge speed increase for me, as were updated threads going
with a sandy bridge processor.  I run 2x 120gb sata2 ssd's in raid1 on
my laptop for redundancy, and 2x 64gb ssd's on my desktop in raid0.
Both are super fast function-wise, I can't really tell a perceptible
difference aside from each other, but over a standard ata disk, even a
raptor, is huge.

Caveat emptor, ssd's are not very easy to figure out how to align
properly.  I spent weeks figuring it out, and still consider some bits a
leap of faith if you want raid, crypto, and lvm for function.  I got it
pretty happy on my laptop, and will be redoing my desktop for this as
well.  If anyone wants my little recipe for it, let me know, but you
have to not be afraid of initrd.  :)

If you're doing any hd video rendering or playback (1080p x264, avchd,
etc) you want an nvidia card.  Basically with linux, you want an nvidia
card period unless you want +4 displays.  ATI is a basketcase under
linux, as generally is Intel gpu.  With nvidia video I ran 4 montiors
and could easily have 6-8 month uptimes with everyday desktop use.  With
ATI I'm lucky if my system survives a week before video gets wonky and
really needs a reboot to be happy.

Other than this, just make sure you don't get errant systems running and
randomly updating.  Kill any unnecessary services, don't run 40 chrome
windows, minecraft server, music playing, jbidwatcher sniping ebay, and
have a 30gb mailbox open at all times.  Sadly I do, but an i7-2600k with
8gb of ram with ssd's running a pretty default natty install keeps it
quite snappier than any windows box I've used with comparable task.

-mb