Brookings: CyberSecurity In the Balance - 2 New Bills

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:30:17 MST 2011

When I read this, there was something I thought of that shows how easy
it would be to get around these bills if they become law.  The BBC has
an application they call the iplayer.  It lets users catch up on their
favorite shows.  Shows the BBC produces are available on the iplayer
soon after broadcast.  They also allow users to watch some shows live
online.

The problem is for people over here is that it's restricted to UK IP
addresses.  You get an error message if you try to watch content if you
don't have a UK IP address.  This isn't a problem for me or anyone else
who is not in England but wants to watch.  There are numerous vpn
services that provide subscribers a UK IP address no matter where on
earth they are.  I don't know if it's legal here or not to use one of
these services to get around another country's laws so I can't condone
doing so.  I will say that research shows these service work as advertized.

This is just one example of how the proposed legislation can be
circumvented.  Also the same vpn service that a user in rural Kentucky
uses to watch BBC programs can be used to access sites that would be
blocked under the proposed legislation.