Puppet, Chef or CFEngine?

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Sun Nov 6 15:56:38 MST 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM, James Mcphee <jmcphe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am also looking at implementing one of these at some point in the near
> future.  The standard scripts over ssh is simple and relatively well
> controlled, but teaching new people how to use them and maintaining them in
> a sane fashion is troublesome.  I've used a few HP, Dell, Sun, and IBM
> config products in the past and they were all bad enough I went back to
> scripts in no time.
>
> On Nov 5, 2011 11:33 AM, "Lisa Kachold" <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone chime in on using enterprise mass systems configuration and
>> management tools?
>>
>> What are you using? Chef, Puppet or CFEngine and why?

I like CFengine - the task based focus is on "promises" and the
install is painless. The only ruff spot I could point to is with
application updates - the interface to yum is less polished than some
- updates work if you work on them as groups vs particular apps. There
are many promises online and in the maillists for particular tasks. I
think there is even a starter pack on github somewhere. CFengine fits
well into ITIL and managing IT - lots of IT - and it has it's own
directory in /var too!  ;)

The RH world has worked with Cobbler plus Puppet - this is getting
tighter with Puppet plus TheForman and Pulp - if I remember the
roadmap.