securing a system

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Jun 15 05:21:03 MST 2011

Be sure to install mod_security on Apache; it helps a lot.
It is important to know how it got compromised so that you don't move that
to the new system.  Common methods are sql injection and using pages with
poor input validation to run external code.  I don't know how big your
databases are but it's a good idea to dump them to text and skim through
them for unusual text with back ticks ` , @, $, readfile, exec, etc that get
rendered by the front end as code in poorly written pages.  Also look in
your apache logs; you will usually find it there also.

Don't trust any code on your front end; install vanilla versions of them and
re-implement any mods you've made (makes it REALLY obvious how important
adequate documentation is).  It looks like you'll really need to scrutinize
the mason-cm code.
Good luck.

JD
PS: http://mason-cm.itassistance.biz/index