Looking for NAS Hardware Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Jul 10 09:42:48 MST 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Joseph Sinclair
<plug-discussion at stcaz.net>wrote:

> It's not in the manual, but the "BuffaloLink" mechanism that allows one NAS
> to backup another is rsync.
> You can rsync to the box (to do backups) with the following pattern:
> rsync ${OPTIONS} rsync://${BACKUP_SERVER}/array1_${SHARE_NAME}/${DIR_NAME}
>
> In order to create anything on the NAS without rooting the device, you need
> to go into the web admin screen and setup Samba (i.e. Windows) share's.
>  That creates the directories at the top level of the RAID array
> (${SHARE_NAME} above). It also creates the rsync endpoints.
>
> I setup a shared folder on the NAS called Hshare. It is setup as a Windows,
Apple and ftp shared folder. The ftp is so I can see if the file is
there.....yes, I should root the device to ssh into it, but I thought I
would give this a try first.

I then tried to rsync a file to the NAS box with this command:

rsync -tlzv file_name rsync://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/array1/Hshare/

and got this error:
unknown module 'array1

I then re-read your post carefully...;-).... and tried this command

rsync -tlzv file_name rsync://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/array1_Hshare/

and got the error: unknown module 'array1_Hshare'

When I ftp into the box, ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, I see two folders, array1
and info. When I drill down into array1 I see the Hshare folder.

Your email said to use array1_share-name, and the rsync man page says
array1/share-name as far as I can tell. Neither worked. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Mark

P.S. There is a lot of stuff in the info folder that appeared after I set up
the RAID1. Do I need it? Can I delete it?