RFC - Linux Command Cheatsheet

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Thu Jul 7 00:06:24 MST 2011

Hi Dennis - a few thing come to mind:

tee is a basic tool - as is ssh (needs it's own sheet I think) like
screen perhaps - tree is also a handy extended/visual ls.

the need to mount/umount devices is always new to windows folks -
getting oriented with dmesg and uname is good to know too.

Nmap is handy, but it might be more SysAdminish - like nice.

Rather than a section on SELinux - you could mention all of the tools
for file meta-data in one place > making  chown chmod and chcon a set
of tools gives selinux useful context.

I would add unison right next to rsync - and lynx for browsing from
the command line - and anacron is cron for laptops.

Scripts begin with #! /bin/bash..
Typically have a couple [ in them..
and are often made quiet with ./script >  /dev/null 2>&1

my favourite tool is detox  (but for standard unix there is tr or
dos2unix/unix2dos) for text conversions; or convert for images or
transcode for video.

finally, for me, xargs turns more scripts into one-liners than anything else.

echo? lpr? there really are too many to list on just one page...

Looks nice - I can't wait to see the final version.