SMTP proxy for masking credit card numbers

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri Jan 28 11:26:28 MST 2011

Just FYI, MOD10 is a check-digit algorithm, used for things besides CC
numbers. It is useful for checking the validity of pretty much any
numeric input. It grew out of the older days of data processing as a
means of validating data entry (identifying keypunch errors). If any
digit is mistyped or numbers are transposed, the check-digit will not
match, making it easy to identify errors.

A side effect of having a check-digit is that if you have a credit card
number with a missing digit, with a little careful math you can
calculate the missing digit. I've done this in the past when a number
didn't quite transfer on the old machines that took imprints. Some of
you youngsters may know what I'm talking about. In that case, never mind. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'