Having Problems with Xsane

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Jan 19 06:22:08 MST 2011

I have an hp L7688 all in one printer/scanner/fax on my network. I am
running Debian testing on my computer. I have been able to control the
scanner in this printer for years from my computer - it always works out of
the box by installing hpaio, which I have done on several other machines.
Recently, probably due to an update/upgrade dance (?), xsane no longer
recognizes the scanner; it only finds my video camera (which it found since
first installing the camers with the scanner). hpaio and xsane-hpaio are
installed (the backends for this printer/scanner). When I run scanimage -L,
only the video camera is found. Anyone have any suggestions on how to
troubleshoot what packages are missing so I can get my scanner back?

Thanks,

Mark