OT: Learning to Spell (HIPPA)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Thu Feb 10 16:12:50 MST 2011

Back to point on HIPAA violations, there was a doctor (and from trying to find that one instance via Google, several others now) at UCLA Medical Center that was prosecuted (and convicted) using HIPAA for "snooping" into celeb's medical records.  I do not recall all of the specifics, but since Linux ETC does do some EMR related work, it came across one of the other various user groups I subscribe to.  Also to note, most states have a similar version in place in additional to HIPAA which can be another avenue of recourse potentially though typically it is "civil court" oriented.

When doing HIPAA specific work, we (Linux ETC) do ask for the site's "HIPAA Business Associates Agreement" as well as a copy of their HIPAA Guidelines.  Most are fairly the same across the board.  In the end, "snooping" where one should not be or inappropriate access is just that.  Most here as IT professionals would understand and hopefully follow similar ethics. ;-)

FWIW.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court