RAM guru question?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:30:57 MST 2011

Well...there's been some research done that says "standard" RAM (the kind
that empties when you power it down) can actually hold data longer than we
thought - five, even ten minutes sometimes.

Longer if you spray it with something very cold!

A known attack against systems protected by whole-disk-encryption is to
catch them in a standby state (RAM still active), open the memory bay lid on
the bottom of most laptops, spray it good with something very cold, pull the
memory modules out and scan them in a specialized system designed to look
for and read the whole-disk-encryption password.

If you're coming into the US from overseas and there's a chance US Customs
will want to look at your laptop, best to completely power it down at least
a half hour before hitting the checkpoints, just to make sure.

"Standard" RAM (or "DRAM" or "volitile RAM") is much faster (and a much
older design) than the new Flash RAM we use on USB memory sticks, camera
memory, SSDs and the like.  Flash RAM holds it's data even with no voltage
applied.  The faster sort of RAM we use as working memory can't do that - at
least not yet.  That will change eventually, or Flash RAM will get a hell of
a lot faster...then we'll have a whole bunch of security issues to deal
with.

Jim