OT: How to put a web page slide show in a window?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Feb 7 10:50:28 MST 2011

From: joe at actionline.com
> How can I put a slide-show window in one of my web pages
> that will display (cycle-through) all the images in a
> designated subdirectory, starting with the most recent
> additions? I would hope to be able to do this with html
> alone (no flash) so the images would display on any browser.

You may need to be a bit more specific about what it is you want.  Do you want
a new window/tab that displays a set of images with navigation buttons?  You
can do that with HTML only, but you'll need to have the page reload to display
different images.  If you want to have the image change without a full page
reload, you're going to have to use JS.  You can use jQuery or another JS
framework to make that relatively painless and mostly cross-browser
combatible.

How is the start page going to be generated?  Static HTML?
PHP/Ruby/something?  Any of those are doable.  I'd make the start page PHP
rather than HTML, as that'd avoid having to regenerate the start page every
time images are added.

Using something like Picasa is another alternative.  I'd stay away from that
since you don't have any control over it, but it might be easier for you than
writing some code.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows