no admin privileges for ubuntu 11.10

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 23:00:14 MST 2011

Unless you have turned it off, grub2 menu should still (in 11.10) offer
recovery mode which can put you into single user mode as root.  That should
enable you to adduser regusername:admin (or adm the one you need).  Then
reboot and log in as yourself.

If you are not dual booting, you may not see the grub menu on startup
unless you hold down the SHIFT (I think?) key during startup.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:42 PM, azlobo73 <azlobo73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One option is to view (maybe edit) the /etc/sudoers file via single user
> mode, (if visudo command is available just run that; else, recall that when
> using vi or vim, :w! will save a write protected file.. But actually
> EDITING the sudoers file should be a last resort in this case - you can
> make things worse by 'visudo' command is like crontab -e, in that is checks
> syntax before committing changes, which is why you should really use it if
> its available) .
>
> I think all you *really* need to do is place your desired user 's account
> as a member of the correct group (which is why we are viewing the sudoers
> file, so see which group is given "ALL").  The group is most likely "admin"
> (confirmed in the link below; in which case in single-user mode, edit
> /etc/group, and place your self in that group, following other group member
> syntax examples already in the file for reference).
>
> More info sudoers in Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers
>
> Ben
>

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Kevin Fries <kevin at fries-biro.com> wrote:
>
>> Resetting the root password will get you nowhere.  Those directions are
>> old and should not be used.
>>
>> If you can get yourself root access, simply add your everyday account to
>> the admin group.
>>
>> I have not tried to single user access a machine with grub2, so I am less
>> help there, hopefully someone else can help with that.
>>
>> Kevin
>> On Dec 30, 2011 2:59 PM, "Ariel Gold" <arielqgold at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> sorry, didn't read your whole post. but i recently used these
>>> instructions to reset a root password.
>>> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-reset-a-forgotten-root-password-with-knoppix
>>> I booted from an Ubuntu cd instead of a Knoppix one...  (make sure you read
>>> the second page of that article, that's where the meat of it is)

> ---
> Ben
>
> python -c "exec(\"import math\\nprint ''.join(map(lambda x: chr(x), (
> (ord('a')-(3*5)), int(math.sqrt(math.pi*76)*5+2),
> int(math.ceil(math.e)*28), int(math.floor(math.e)*35),
> long(abs(4%3*35+3)*2))))\")"**

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before
forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from
capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.