training

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 17:58:02 MST 2011

I want to learn how to program.  What do you suggest I learn first? Do you
think I should learn 'C' first or another? What online resource do you
think I should utilize? I had a PDF entitled *Linux Systems Programming *(
http://nccastaff.bournemouth.ac.uk/jmacey/ASD/LinuxSystemsProgramming.pdf)
which I thought would be good but when the first program wouldn't run I
figured I'd ask the experts! Or else, maybe something else is wrong. Let me
ask; what is wrong with this code?

#include <stdio.h>
int main (int argc, char * argv[])
{
int count;
for(count =0; count < argc; count++)
printf("argument no %d = %s\n",count,argv[count]);
return 0;
}

this is what the computer says:

bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~/Documents/linux-training/chapter1 $ ./argexample
-a -b -c -d e
./argexample: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./argexample: line 2: `int main (int argc, char * argv[])'
bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~/Documents/linux-training/chapter1 $
--