networking ubuntu and mint and windows

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Fri Dec 2 15:02:04 MST 2011

NFS is file sharing, like mounting a server directory in Windows.  In
the Windows platform, there are two programs that are installed as part
of the standard Windows: Server, and Workstation.

Server is what creates shares on your system that others can see through
network neighborhood (or whatever MS is calling it this week, Network
Places?)

Workstation is the software that makes the link and makes it available
to the current machine.

Linux can install SMB to connect, or share its folders using the Windows
protocol, called CIFS (old references will still call it SMB, which is
its predecessor)

Linux also has support for the old Unix equivalent, NFS, or Network File
System.  In NFS, the Server portion is handled by a daemon, and you
create your shares though the /etc/exports file.  The client side is
handled via the standard mount command.  But it is just a second
protocol to handle the same task.

Windows systems can also mount NFS drives, but you have to find, and
install, the software separately.  Mac's btw act exactly like Linux
machine's in this case, and therefore can mount NFS natively, or you can
in stall the Samba to talk CIFS.

What I thought you were talking about earlier was remote desktop access.
This is a completely different topic.

Remote desktop means that you will see machine-a's desktop on
machine-b's screen.  This allows you to run a program on machine-a while
being currently logged into machine-b.  For that, I recommended Free-NX.

Again, you have the Windows technology, and the one everyone else uses.

Windows natively has a program called Terminal Services.  You can
connect as a client to a server at any time.  Every version since XP has
had this software installed, but you are limited to 1-2 connections
depending on your version of Windows.  Ubuntu has a client for Terminal
Server also.

Linux and Mac machines generally use a program called VNC for remote
desktop.  It is included with every version I have ever seen of Linux
(or is in the repositories).  VNC has no security in it by default, so
many tools have been built to secure the connection.  The simplest is
generally to tunnel it though a SSH connection.

When I recommended Free-NX for remote desktop, It was due to the fact
that you are obviously new to all of this, and wanted to point you to
the easiest way to install the software.  Free-NX will require you to
have SSH setup between the machines (easy enough), and it will tunnel
between the machine a VNC session.  It hides all of this tough a very
straightforward GUI, so it is fairly easy for a nubie.

But Free-NX will not share files, it only let you see the desktop on the
other side.

NFS will not let you see the other side, or run programs on the remote
machine, it will only share files.

Personally, I am not a fan of NFS.  If I want files on another machine,
I open Nautulus (desktop file browser in Ubuntu), and type:

  ssh://myothermachine

I now have a windows that I can drag and drop files to and from.  And if
I want to run something on that machine, I will use Free-NX.  And it can
use the same SSH tunnel to do both.

Good Luck

Kevin