DNS & Name Servers.

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Apr 29 17:32:28 MST 2011

Hi Keith,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an old lap top on which I have installed CentOS 5.6 and Qmail
> Toaster.  I can send and receive email just fine.  Qmail Toaster is working
> just fine.

Suite!

> Now I want to configure Bind.  Currently I am using my registrar's DNS.  I
> would like to run my own for the experience of it.

Well, you can have more than one nameserver!

> I only have one IP address on my Internet Account.  It is my understanding
> I need 2 name servers.  If that is true how do I create a second name
> server?  As I recall I need a different IP for each name server.

No, you might run another primary that gets updates from your registrar.  Or
you might run something like split DNS; one internal and one external and
then you simply add your nameserver to the list of NS entries at your
registrar.

You would not want to update your whois record for your Internet Account if
it is dynamic, even if you have two nameservers.

It's best practice to have multiple slave DNS servers (which can pull zone
records from one master) that are located in multiple geographic areas.

If I were you, I would not try to configure and run bind there with Qmail,
due to the nature of learning curve with both DNS and bind, and the
dependent nature of mail to DNS.

Most of what you need to do is going to be possible via /etc/hosts entries.

But if you insist, you can run an additional DNS name server configured for
your IP.

See this HowTo:  http://www.howtoforge.com/bind-installation-on-centos

> Is my info wrong or is there a work around?
>

> Thanks!

(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice

 http://www.it-clowns.com

"If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."