Remote desktop support, Bomgar alternative?

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Thu Apr 14 13:05:06 MST 2011

----- Ariel Gold <arielqgold at gmail.com> wrote: -----
> So the other day I was in a Windows VM making sure a local
> non-profit's
> email got past Outlook's spam filtters, and was having problems
> connecting
> to the Exchange server. Anyways, someone provided me remote desktop
> support,
> and all I needed to do was point my web browser to the address he told
> me
> over the phone, authorize access, and the person was on my desktop. It
> took
> like 10 seconds.
>
> It turns out they were using Bomgar, which apparently works to provide
> support from a Linux environment to Mac, Windows, and Linux. I sent an
> email
> to them and they said the appliance covers 2 licenses and is $4,000. I
> really liked the no-hassle way to provide remote desktop support, but
> $4,000
> is too steep for me. Anyone know of a good, no-hassle alternative?

There is OpenMeetings (http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/ ) which can be used for web conferencing as well as remote desktop control.  The end client system just needs a Java and Flash (gnash also works well here) friendly web browser.  Does take a little getting use to with the remote control aspect, but in all not a bad start.

FOSS and a Google Code based project, so $0 cost for the code.

<shameless plug>
Linux ETC also can also host this for those who might need it a bit more regularly but not have the resources in house as well.  Feel free to contact me off list for specific needs or visit our web site at http://www.linux-etc.com/web-conference for more.
</shameless plug>

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court