Books to learn Linux/Unix

Benjamin Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 09:24:04 MST 2010

When I first started w/ Linux and FreeBSD, I loved the book "Using
Unix Third Edition, Special Edition" ISBN # 0-7897-1747-6 by Peter
Kuo.  There is still a lot of relevant basics in there, along with a
lot of outdated stuff.
http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Using_UNIX-Special_Edition/0789717476/

I also just finished coursework for the Novell CLP.  Their e-books for
the courses are top of the line, highly relevant, especially for SUSE.
 On the down side, it is a high $ amount for their self study kits.

http://www.novell.com/training/courseware/ts_proj_info.jsp?pid=37063
http://www.novell.com/training/courseware/ts_proj_info.jsp?pid=37066
http://www.novell.com/training/courseware/ts_proj_info.jsp?pid=29885

-Ben

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Brandon Hoffman
<brandonmhoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I recently just joined this group (like an hour ago) because
> I was posting on a forum about wanting to learn Unix/Linux and a passerby
> who decided to be nosy recommended me to sign up.
>
> I would like to learn as much as I can and eventually get some certificates
> for Linux and Unix (Windows-administration is way too easy.) What would be
> the top three-five books recommended for reading?
>
> I did look on the website and learned about Maricopa's college and will
> probably go there for a degree eventually, but I perfer my own pace and
> practice.
>
> Thanks ahead of time, I look forward to reading more on all the Linux
> discussions. I live in the east valley and will probably start attending the
> meetings as well!

Benjamin Francom
Information Technology Executive
http://www.benjaminfran.com