OT: A Little Tip for Canon Printers

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 12:40:44 MST 2010

Speaking of Canon printers, does anyone know if there is/was any support for
the Canon imageclass mf5750 4in1 printer scanner?  I'm running Ubuntu 10.04,
64bit server on the machine that I want to turn into a print server (through
Samba so Windows machines can print to it).

I can't find  anything ... , and don't want to have to buy a new printer. :(

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Andrew Harris <tuna at supertunaman.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the past few days, my family has been suffering intolerable slowness on
> our wireless network. It was only on wifi; all the wired computers seemed
> fine. I ran virus scans on the Windows boxen, tried a few options on the
> router (a WRT54GL), and *almost* googled for "slow Linksys router". But then
> I opened up Wireshark (yes, I know, that should have been my *first*
> thought).
>
> The first thing I noticed were shitloads of MDNS packets flying by, and the
> router trying to keep up with it all. A scrolling wall of crimson with
> occasional interruptions in Cisco-white. I clicked on one of the MDNS
> packets and saw that it was actually my printer. I yanked the powercord from
> the printer and it all stopped immediately. Our printer was attempting to
> DoS us! Our very own printer! How rude.
>
> I plugged the printer back in and immediately went into the admin panel
> (served on port 80 at the printer's IP address) and disabled Bonjour and LPR
> service notification. I suggest you do the same should you purchase a Canon
> printer with builtin wifi.
>
> Just remember, in the robot uprising, DoS attacks come first. Disable
> Bonjour on your devices before it comes to skeletal robots with miniguns
> mounted on either shoulder.
>
> -ah

James